Who am I kidding? You can’t call this Frito Pie. There were no Fritos and no chili. But there was a jalapeno in there somewhere. And quinoa cooked plain tastes exactly like corn chips. Not even joking. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that this meal was so good, we ate it two nights in a row:
Quinoa with Tex-Mex Lentils
- Green Lentils
- Chicken broth
- One small carrot, diced
- One rib of celery, diced
- One small onion, diced
- One clove garlic, minced
- One jalapeno, minced
- Chile powder, cumin, black pepper
1. Soak 1 cup of dried lentils in water for about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a medium sized pot, saute the vegetables in a little butter or olive oil until transparent. Add lentils, 2 cups of chicken stock, and spices. (No additional salt at this point!) Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until desired firmness.
3. In a separate pot, bringing 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Serve in a bowl: quinoa on the bottom, lentils on top. Garnish with fresh salsa, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
Tastes like Frito Pie, but WAY better for you.
Love and kisses from Cucina Knighton!